Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

I am finally done with this book! It seems like it took me forever to finish. It is almost 1000 pages...which is a long book but still I can't believe I have been reading it all month!

I wish I could say that it was worth all the time I invested in reading it, but the book turned out to be just okay. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. The teaser on the front says, "Unfolds like a poisonous lotus blossom redolent with luxurious evil...Her best novel yet." (Rita Mae Brown The Los Angeles Times). Doesn't that make it sound sumptuous and deliciously scary?

It was definitely classic Anne Rice, dark, strange, sensual...but mostly dark. I expected to be reading with heart pounding, wanting to know what was coming next and a little afraid to turn the page. It wasn't like that at all. It sort of read like a history book particularly in the middle when she outlines the lineage of the Mayfair family. Plus, there were no surprises, beginning to end it was very predictable. I do love her writing style though, that alone made it worth finishing. She has a way of describing things that transports you into the story which is always a good thing.

The story is about a family of witches (one generation to the next) who are influenced by an evil spirit named Lasher. Once all of the history is out of the way, the story continues in present day with the most powerful witch in the lineage (who has just learned about her heritage) and her husband in the Mayfair house in New Orleans. The story is sultry and dark and wicked but not scary. There are two more books in the trilogy Lasher and Taltos. I can't say that I am in a huge hurry to press on... maybe in a couple of months... or next year... or sometime.

What are you all reading? Give us your opinion and review!

1 comment:

Bethany said...

I don't disagree with anything you said, but I LOVED this book. I rushed to get the next two, and read them right away. Oh well...Different strokes, right?