Monday, May 19, 2008

A Food Memoir and an American Classic











I took my daughters, Katie (13) and Annie (5) to the library after school today. Katie has to read "Jacob have I Loved" by Katherine Paterson. She planned to finish "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. I was sitting outside with Steve when Katie came out. I knew she was near the end so when I saw her I asked,
"Did you finish it?"
As soon as she came under the light and I saw her face, she didn't need to answer. Her green eyes were glowing with tears, and her face was swollen with emotion. Silently she stepped into my arms and wept. Ah....that is how readers are created. Or it could backfire on me, and she can decide reading is too emotional and not worth it. She may decide if tears are to be shed it will be over Urban Outfitters selling high-waisted shorts, not some imaginary sickly girls.

While we were at the library, I looked for a Hawaiian cookbook, but instead checked out Faulkner's "The Sound and the Fury" and the food memoir, "Tender at the Bone" by Ruth Reichl, because that's almost the same as a Hawaiian cookbook right?

I read about "Tender at the Bone" in a book on food writing. Doesn't the name invoke all sorts of wonderful painful things? Ruth Reichl is the restaurant critic for The New York Times. I am looking forward to reading it.
And Faulkner. My first Faulkner. I am as excited as any other type of virgin. I am thinking all sorts of things. Will I be able to handle it? Will it be too much for me? Will I understand what it means? I can't wait. Does anyone else have experience with Faulkner? Adria mentioned "As I Lay Dying" in her post.


I picked up Joan Didion's "The Year of Magical Thinking" the other day. Has anyone read that? I would like to see it be a book club pick. Tell me what you think about these three books.





Disco, I have never read anything about the Romanovs, but "The Kitchen Boy" looks good. My taste tends to run more towards books about Rasputin then the Romanovs, but I would read this one.

1 comment:

Burpykitty said...

I have looked at "Tender at the Bone" before, it looks interesting. I just bought "The Omnivore's Dilemma" (because I don't have enough books in my 'to be read' pile!) We'll have to bring books to trade at the next meeting.