Thursday, May 15, 2008

Good Night Nobody


I just finished "Good Night Nobody" by Jennifer Weiner. I read "Good in Bed" and "In Her Shoes" by the same author a few years ago, and enjoyed them, the former more than the latter. I can see the appeal of this book, but I didn't love it. It was, in the words of Randy Jackson, "Just A'ight".

It followed the formula of a so-called "Cozy Mystery" by avoiding gory descriptions of the crime scene, employing a female amateur sleuth who is just trying to fit solving a murder in around heating up fish sticks for her kids, and setting in it amongst everyday characters. It is a formula that I like, under the right circumstances. This one was a little too gamy, and aggressive to fit comfortably into the category. I didn't find the lead character particularly likable, although she was definitely believable. Weiner deserves points for capturing the angst of mothers who don't feel like they are making the Stepford grade. I would have enjoyed the book more if it questioned the husband's ethics, and the feasibility of marriage under the circumstances, rather than a murder mystery.

Did any one else read this book? What did you think?

3 comments:

Burpykitty said...

Haven't read this one yet. Coincidentally I did pick up Good in Bed today at Target. Looking forward to it as a summer beach read.

Anonymous said...

I've read two books by Jennifer Weiner, "Good in Bed" and one other I can't recall at the moment. I liked her writing style!

DiscoSplitz said...

I read "Good in Bed" and another one of her books (probably the same one adria read). They were alright, easy beach reads that you didn't have to think too hard about.

Oh, I should introduce myself. I'm new to the group, DiscoSplitz (my stage name), and am probably the only one who isn't married & doesn't have kids (do dogs count?) so I'll bring a different perspective, I hope.

Look foward to meeting you all.