Thursday, June 26, 2008

Some light (predictable) beach reading


So I seriously didn't intend to finish reading "Atonement" in one day. Tuesday found me very sick of reading months-old People magazines, and utterly overwhelmed by various Orange County property listings and over-the-top high-end design magazines. Eclectic readers, the owners of this beach house. Meghan had a friend with her, so I was the sole adult during the day. I came across this book and one other ... Danielle Steele ... it was an easy choice. I absorbed this one in one day also!! Can't say it was deep or inspiring in any way but it helped to while away my day in the sun. Besides, after my last two flops ("Rant" and "As I Lay Dying") perhaps some seriously light reading was what I needed. The plot, about three-year old twins that are separated following a kidnapping - and commence to communicate by telepathy, leading to the capture and conviction of the kidnappers - seemed a bit pat for me, but then I did say this was "light" reading. :) Plus, it could be this wasn't the best read to follow "Atonement" - everything about which I loved.

2 comments:

Burpykitty said...

Gotta throw in some trash now and then just to cleanse the pallette. Besides who wants to be serious at a beach house?

Bethany said...

Mary Higgins Clark is the definition of light reading. Safe, predictable, enjoyable enough!