Monday, June 16, 2008

Enemy Women

Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles is a story that she bases on the rarely noted chapter of Civil
War history about the incarceration of women. This is Jiles' first novel and she does a good job of telling about the war from the perspective of southeast Missouri. Each chapter is prefaced with historical personal letters and facts of events. The comparison to Frazier's Cold Mountain is inevitable: and so I have to say, far less of a page turner but, still a good read.

1 comment:

Burpykitty said...

I really liked Gone With the Wind because the story talked about the Civil War from the southern point of view. This sounds like a good one. Plus, I loved Cold Mountain and if Enemy Women is even remotely as good of a read, it would be worth it. I think I have Enemy Women in my stack of books to read....hmmm...I'll have to go look:)