Monday, June 23, 2008

Paint It Black by Janet Fitch

While I was playing Guitar Hero with my kids this weekend, including the song Paint it Black by The Rolling Stones, I was reminded of this book that I read by Janet Fitch also called Paint it Black. She is the author of White Oleander. Janet Fitch has so far proven herself to be an amazing author. She has a way with language that is so insightful and artistic. Her subject matter in both White Oleander and Paint it Black is not uplifting but the writing is phenomenal. Here is the blurb from BN.com about Paint it Black:

Josie Tyrell, art model, runaway, and denizen of LA's rock scene finds a chance at real love with Michael Faraday, a Harvard dropout and son of a renowned pianist. But when she receives a call from the coroner, asking her to identify her lover's body, her bright dreams all turn to black.

As Josie struggles to understand Michael's death and to hold onto the world they shared, she is both attracted to and repelled by his pianist mother, Meredith, who blames Josie for her son's torment. Soon the two women are drawn into a twisted relationship that reflects equal parts distrust and blind need.

The only thing I did not love about this book was the ending, I thought the author stretched it out a bit too far. I thought there was a better ending point. However, I still highly recommend this book, but as I said before it is NOT uplifting.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

I enjoyed this book even more than White Oleander. Janet Fitch has a way of using beautiful laguage to keep you focused on a horrifying scene. When I read her books, I am sad because she gobbled up more than her fair share of writing talent.

HatriQ said...

I really enjoyed this book too
Q

Anonymous said...

oooh haven't read this, will add to my list! :)

Burpykitty said...

B- can you bring this one on Tuesday too?