Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Out Stealing Horses


This is one of those books you pick up at Costco, read the back, put it down, pick it up the next time you're there, thumb through the pages, put it down, then about your third time through at Costco, you finally put it in your basket along with the dog food and toilet paper. This book is not an easy read, but not quite as heavy as The Road that burpykitty read, think The Road "light".
BN.com says, "Out Stealing Horses...panoramic and gripping, it tells the story of Trond Sander, a sixty-seven-year-old man who has moved from the city to a remote, riverside cabin, only to have all the turbulence, grief, and overwhelming beauty of his youth come back to him one night while he's out on a walk. From the moment Trond sees a strange figure coming out of the dark behind his home, the reader is immersed in a decades-deep story of searching and loss, and in the precise, irresistible prose of a newly crowned master of fiction. "
It is beautifully written, but I was a little disappointed in the story...I felt like there was so much left to learn about the character, his father, his childhood and what happened in between. I almost want to read this again to see if I missed anything. I'll bring this along to our next meeting.

1 comment:

lori said...

Alright I admit I too picked the book up at Costco. I agree - not an easy read but, one of those stories that keeps you reading. Like you I wondered if there was something I missed. Not planning to read again though to find out.