Thursday, January 22, 2009

Windfalls by Jean Hegland

After 2 months of a serious reading funk, I finally picked up a book that captured my interest and broke the dry spell. I chose Windfalls by Jean Hegland because I thought her other book Into the Forest was amazing. I tried to have no expectations of the book that might lead to disappointment. This book is a story about two mothers who come from very different backgrounds and live very different lives. When their lives intersect, each woman emerges from the brief friendship stronger, inspired by what she has seen in the other and changed in a way that would never have happened otherwise. It is not too often that a book makes me cry, but this one made me cry tears of joy, sadness, understanding, anger and hope. I loved this book! I literally hugged in to my chest to savor it for one more moment when I finished reading. Hegland has a way of writing that expresses feeling in a way that I have never seen. I look forward to whatever she writes next.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

A book worth hugging? I need one of those! Dibs on borrowing it.