Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Blue Cotton Gown:A Midwife's Memoir

This book was definitely not what I expected. During the period Patricia Harman is writing about, she no longer attends deliveries because insurance is too expensive. The book is very much a general memoir which includes a lot of her disclosing personal details to her patients in a way I didn't think was appropriate. Seems more about her personal problems than about her patients stories which I always find incredibly unique in my practice. This is just an FYI - certainly not a recommend that you read.

4 comments:

Burpykitty said...

That's too bad, it sounds like a great premise for a story/memoir.

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh, I read Blue Cotton Gown and loved it! It really spoke to me -- gave me an insight to struggles I'd never considered and had some really uplifting parts I thought.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Kay Powers. I actually really enjoyed the book. I usually don't read this genre, but it makes me want to read more like it!

Bethany said...

Lori, how were its merits based on entertainment value, for someone not in the business?