Thursday, October 9, 2008

Into the Forest by Jean Hegland

Have you ever chopped up jalapenos and felt the burn of the oil on your fingertips hours later? sometimes into the next day? This jalapeno of a book has left its mark on me and every so often the residue burns at my subconscious and I start to think about it again. I loved this book! It is not a nice story, in fact it is truly frightening in light of the times we are living in. Riane Eisler had this to say,"A work of extraordinary power, insight, and lyricism, Into the Forestis both an urgent warning and a passionate celebration of life and love." I can't say it any better. The back cover describes the story:

"Eva, eighteen, and Nell, seventeen, are sisters, adolescents on the threshold of womanhood - and for them anything should be possible. But suddenly their lives are turned upside down, their dreams pushed into the shadows, as sickness and anarchy rage across a country on the brink of collapse. In a time of suspicion and superstition, of anger, hunger, and fear, Eva and Nell are left to forage through the forest, and their past, for the keys to survival. They must blaze a new path into the future as pioneers and pilgrims - not only creatures of the new world, but creators of it. Gripping and unforgettable, Into the Forest is a passionate and poignant tale of stirring sensuality and profound inspiration - a novel that will move you and surprise you and touch you to the core."

I highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

lori said...

You're right - a truly frightening book when you look at our country's current challenges. Made me stop and think that I need to take some actions now rather that wait and see.

Bethany said...

I was so happy I read this book. Jean Hegland proposed a frightening question, and gave an equally frightening answer. I never would have picked this book on my own. Thank you, Lori, and Thank you, Michelle. All the rest of my beautiful readers, READ THIS BOOK!