Monday, October 13, 2008

The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz

Always enjoy his books! The power of this novel lies in the genuine compassion that Dean Koontz exhibits through Amy (the main character) and her love for and near obsession to rescue both people and dogs from abuse and neglect. Amy Redwing operates Golden Heart, a Golden Retriever rescue service, that brings her to the home of abused housewife and mother Janet Brockman. Amy and her close friend Brian McCarthy rescue Janet, her two kids, and their retriever Nicki from Janet's abusive husband. Immediately, Amy recognizes a seemingly supernatural connection with Nicki, the golden retriever. And soon after, Amy discovers that she is being followed. Fast paced - fast read. Left me thinking about good, evil, and souls.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh I love Dean Koontz, and I love dogs ... I think I would love this book!! Borrow?? ;)

Burpykitty said...

Fast reads are so nice sometimes. This one sounds good.

DiscoSplitz said...

As the owner of a golden retriever I may have to pick this one up...and I'm not a huge Koontz fan.

DiscoSplitz said...

Saw this at the library, picked it up, read it, then remembered why I don't read Dean Koontz books.

Diane said...

I just finished this and loved it!

Anonymous said...

Read this while I was at the desert ... loved it! Suspenseful and kept me wrapped in ... but I thought the ending was a little anticlimactic considering the depth of the lead-up.