Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue

This is another book that has traveled the Underground. We have all agreed that it would have been an excellent choice for an actual Book Club Book. The story is about Mary Saunders a working class girl in London 1748 who trades her virtue for a shiny red ribbon and begins a life of prostitution at a young age. Surprisingly, prostitution offers a freedom and income unknown to virtuous young women of the time. Her life is not all a bed of roses though (no pun intended!) as she fights disease, dangers of life on the street and her own greed. This book is a masterpiece of great writing. It is historically accurate with complex characters and a truly compelling story. I couldn’t put it down!

I read that Donoghue has a new book out called Life Mask. I’ll be getting that one soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I would really like this ... I'll have to swipe this from the underground at some point!

Bethany said...

I loved Slammerkin, Life Mask was just okay. Emma Donague has a collection of short stories called The Woman who Gave Birth to Rabbits. I loved! that.