Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier

Book Club night....is there a better night during the month? For those of you who couldn't make it, I am so sorry, I understand but as usual the food and the company and of course the book talk was excellent. As most of you know the menu for last night was High Tea. We had hot tea (of course), broccoli turnovers, fruit and cheese plates, dessert finger sandwiches, cranberry orange scones with lemon curd, assorted English snacks and cucumber sandwiches. Oh, and wine, don't forget the wine.

Everyone loved the book. Those of us who had "less complete" versions, missing the afterword and other author comments, felt the ending was too abrupt. Those lucky ones who had the more complete versions were more informed.

DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE ENDING

One of the things that did not come up in discussion last night was how we all felt about Maxim's admission to killing his wife. It was sort of a moral dilemma for me. I hated Rebecca and thought she was an awful person and I was not surprised that Maxim killed her, but what I was surprised about was that I was happy that he got away with it. What did you all think about that?

What are some of the other things we talked about that you have more input on? I don't want to be the only one talking. Let's us know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a great evening. We missed those of you that couldn't be there!!

MORE SPOILER AHEAD

BK - I agree with you in regards to Maxim's escape from "justice." I was surprised when Maxim admitted to the murder ... all along I thought he was a grieving husband. So the book took a twist for me at that point. I felt the narrator's glee at realizing she wasn't in Rebecca's shadow any longer, especially in her husband's eyes. I too was on edge through the court proceeding to see if Maxim would be caught, and was happy when he wasn't.

This was truly a "classic" that deserves that moniker!! I loved it.