Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hold Tight by Harlan Coben

This book grabs you from page one. And, anyone who was or is a parent will relate to this story. There are basically two plots. 1) Mike and Tia are worried about their son, Adam. Ever since Adam lost his friend, Spencer, to suicide, he has withdrawn from the family. They decide to install spy software on his computer. And, 2) a baffling police case which connects numerous people throughout the community. The story brings up the highly relevant ethical questions that most parents may have to deal with today: How do you weigh a child's privacy against a parent's right to know? How do you differentiate normal teenage rebellion from out of control? When and how do you intervene if suicidal signs appear? A note from the author states that all the technology used in the book is real. All the software and equipment described are readily available to the general public for purchase. I was totally amazed to think parents can now know exactly where their children are via their phone and with internet spy software know exactly who they talk to and about what. Definitely lots of food for thought in this read.

3 comments:

DiscoSplitz said...

I am a huge Harlan Coben fan. His books grab you from page one and keep you guessing right up until the end, sometimes the very end, the second to last page in some cases. I've gotten my mom hooked too. I'll have to add this one to my list.

Burpykitty said...

Being the mother of a just-teen, I would love to read this. I already know of some of the technology but the big question, like you said, is whether or not to use it. Parenting is always such a precarious balancing game.

Anonymous said...

I love Harlan Coben also ... and being the mom of a 16-year old that we've had some internet issues with ... well, I must add this to my list.