Friday, December 12, 2008

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

This book to me forever to read. The author has this rambling, speak-writing style that really slows down the reading pace. The novel is an Oprah Book Club pick and it is always hit or miss for me with her picks. I loved Night by Elie Wiesel and Cane River by Lalita Tademy but this one was so-so. The novel takes place in post-Hitler Germany. Michael, the 16 year old narrator falls ill on his way home from school one day and is rescued by a woman twice his age. After a time, she becomes his lover and then inexplicably disappears. When Michael next sees her, she is on trial for war crimes. As he watches her refuse to defend herself, he realizes that she is illiterate. Torn between his revulsion of her actions and his prior love for her, Michael ends up reading books onto tapes and sending them to her in prison. The plus for this book is that it makes you think about what subsequent generations thought and felt about those who participated in the war but that is about it. I am glad I finished this book but I can't really recommend it as a great read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are far more patient with "so-so" books than I am. You know me, I'd have closed it and put it down long before the ending! I'm impatient that way!

DiscoSplitz said...

I remember reading this years ago and can't quite recall anything about it...so I can either re-read it or wait for the movie that's coming out