Friday, December 12, 2008

Heartburn by Nora Ephron


The comment on the front of this novel says "sidesplitting" and while there were some funny parts I am never particularly amused by the disintegration of a marriage. However, once I learned that this novel is essentially autobiographical, I realized it might have been the only way the author could process what had happened to her marriage. So, okay, I'll cut the book a little slack.

The Book Club meeting, on the other hand, was truly sidesplitting! We met at Allie's Wine Bar and Tapas and shared some extraordinary food, drinks and desserts. Our waiter, a young Don Henley look-alike, was funny, engaging and very patient with his rowdy cougar den. We were so loud, rowdy and raunchy that it is a good thing we had our own room with doors that could be closed!!

I love the December meeting! It is not about the book but about spending time with each other reminiscing about the past year and talking about our plans for the year to come...laughing, drinking, eating, crying, arguing, encouraging, complimenting, complaining and just truly caring about each other. This was my 3rd December meeting and Book Exchange and I couldn't be happier. We have a great time, every time and I look forward to many more Book Club meetings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have put it better. XOXO to you all.