Thursday, August 14, 2008

Now This is a Beach Read...

Joe College isn't the greatest book ever written, but it is a good palate cleanser. Not totally mindless, the characters discuss George Eliot and social realism, and parts made me laugh out loud. The main character, Danny, is a Yale student who instead of going to party at Daytona Beach, works on his father's lunch truck during vacations. There he finds a hometown honey, Cindy, and a group of thugs, the Lunch Monsters, who feel that Danny has encroached on their territory. While at Yale, he is in a totally different world, with people who don't know what it's like to work during vacations, let alone on a small cramped lunch truck. The characters at Yale are quirky and one part in particular reminded me of Rickets (bethany) because Danny wants to expand his food horizons.

Like I said, a fun, semi-mindless read. I'll bring it up for grabs at our next meeting. The author, Tom Perrotta, also wrote Little Children, which is not a fun mindless read, very heavy and adult, this is the total opposite.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed "Little Children" this one is going on my (ever growing!) list! :)