Friday, December 4, 2009

Shrimp Scampi Gambino Style


Sorry, but I don't have a picture of the scampi. I do have a picture of the cover of the book I got the recipe from, The Mafia Cookbook, by Joseph "Joe Dogs" Iannuzzi. This is more than a cookbook, it is full of stories both inside and outside the mafia, he eventually testifies in eleven different mob trials and goes into the witness protection program. These recipes are tested on the mobsters and the FBI agents assigned to protect Joe. It's a fun book! This recipe he made for Anthony "Fat Andy" Ruggiano, a Gambino capo, Checko Brown, a Colombo family soldier, and Skinny Bobby DeSimone, who after eatting this could no way be skinny! Here is the gut busting buttery goodness that is Shrimp Scampi Gambino Style:
2lbs shrimp
3/4lb (3 sticks, yikes!) softened butter
3 shallots chopped fine
4 cloves garlic , crushed & chopped fine (I used a few more)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2tbls chopped fresh parsley (I used basil instead)
1/2c plain bread crumbs
1 egg yolk
2tsp Red Devil hot sauce (I used Franks Red Hot)
Salt & pepper to taste
Clean & devein shrimp, place them in a large flat pan. Mix butter, shallots, garlic, lemon juice, parsley, bread crumbs, egg yolk, hot sauce & salt/pepper in bowl (I used my hands). Spoon over raw shrimp. Place under broiler for 3-5min, checking occasionally so they do not overcook. Spoon excess melted sauce (BUTTER!) over shrimp & serve. I warmed this up the next day over pasta...mmmm, butter & shrimp & pasta & wine....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP! 3 sticks of butter!!??? No wonder it was soooo yummy!! Gosh!!

DiscoSplitz said...

Yeah...if you're on Weight Watchers this will count for about 3500 points

Anonymous said...

Made this tonight. Awesome. Such delicious shrimp scampi I've never made before. Even my teenager loved it. Thanks for recipe. Loved it.