Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain



The book back reads, "In 1977, pregnant Genevieve Russell disappeared. Twenty years later, her remains are discovered and Timothy Gleason is charged with murder. But there is no sign of the unborn child. CeeCee Wilkes knows how Genevieve Russell died, because she was there. And she also knows what happened to the missing infant, because two decades ago she made the devastating choice to raise the baby as her own. Now Timothy Gleason is facing the death penalty, and she has another choice to make. Tell the truth, and destroy her family. Or let an innocent man die in order to protect a lifetime of lies."

I stumbled across this book at Target, picked it up and read the back, shrugged, and thought to myself, "Hmmm. This might be good." Then tossed it in the cart. Forgot about it. Found it last week. Glad I did. While not a literary masterpiece, Diane Chamberlain does an amazing job of pulling you into the story. The main character, CeeCee, is a naive sixteen-year-old when she is manipulated into a 22-year-old man's quest for "justice." Having lost her mother to cancer at the age of 12, then being bounced around a series of foster homes, CeeCee is desperate to be loved and willing to sacrifice anything to keep that love. While the crimes she is involved in are shocking and sensational, I found myself sympathizing with young CeeCee. I felt so connected with the characters I felt their struggles, pain and joy. I could barely put the book down, so eager was I to see how it ended. Then there was the contradictory disappointment that comes with finishing a good book. I'll bring it to the next meeting to pass along.

1 comment:

Burpykitty said...

Please do! It's sounds really good. The cover reminds me of "Whispers in the Dark" - another good book.