Thursday, July 23, 2009

Highwire Moon by Susan Straight


This book had me from the moment I opened it. It is the story of a young Mexican-Indian girl, Serafina who in California illegally. Due to her inability to speak Spanish or English, (she speaks an Indian dialect) she is violently separated from her beloved three year old daughter, Elvia. The story picks up, 15 years later with Elvia, pregnant, and desperate to find her mother. She thinks her mother left her because she didn't want her anymore. At the same time Serafina is trying to find the daughter she has never stopped thinking about.
Susan Straight writes so compellingly that we are willing to look at things we would normally never want to see. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, although I know it is a bit bleak for some readers. I would encourage even them to read it because of the hope and love that permeates this book.
The descriptions of migrant camps and border crossings make you feel as though you are there. I have no idea how the author got some of the details she put into the book.
The book is set in South Riverside County. Readers from this area will recognize many landscape markers, and the Indian tribes names.
I knew instinctively how this book would end. I was right and wrong at the same time. You will be to, no matter how you think it will end.

1 comment:

Scott Sigler said...

I demand a recount! Make INFECTED your next book club book, and I'll join your book club via webcam to discuss it.