Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

I read this book only because my husband kept insisting I should. But, I was so glad I did. What a wonderful book! Enzo, the narrator, is a dog and he wants nothing more than to be a man. He is part of a happy family, Denny, the race car driver; Denny's wife Eve, and the daughter Zoe. Life is good. Then Eve develops cancer and decides to remove herself to her rich parents home along with Zoe. In the end, the grandparents decide to challenge Denny for custody of Zoe and do so in a manner that isn't what most of us believe grandparents are. This book will tug at you in so many ways. Without giving too much away, let me say that I haven't teared up so often while reading in a long time. (When asked my husband admits to tears while waiting to board a plane - so, be careful where you read this.) But, don't let me scare you off. The Art of Racing in the Rain is a book you've got to read, especially if you love dogs ( or animals in general). With a wonderful storyline and characters you become attached to this book is amazing.

2 comments:

Burpykitty said...

Make sure you include those in the many books you are sending with Dad - they both sound great. Finished Child 44...wow! Truly, truly makes me thankful to be an American! I can't wait to see what this author comes up with next.

Anonymous said...

I've heard about this book before - absolutely must read this one.